Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me

Suffering from rectal pain and bleeding is not always a good sign, i had it off and on for 2 years and thought it was just another spicy food thing.

Untill 2 weeks ago, when the world came crashing down, i couldn't sit, barely run a mile. I blamed it on my shoes that i couldn't run, brought some new pair to try working out with and finally consulted the doctor. It was a grose spot to be affected at and discussing that with the doctor made me really uncomfortable.

He said he sensed an issue and referred me to GW rectal surgeon, the lastest appointment that i could get was two week from the day the pain started. I freaked out, why did he refer me to a surgeon. That night i couldn't sleep because of pain and what i learnt from researching on the internet. The rectal bleeding indicated rectal cancer. Hectic emails went back and forth between me and Kunal, my doctor buddy. I couldn't fathom the fact that being so healthy and outgoing that i would be affected by cancer.

Well Lance Amstrong was affected with it and i thought so could be me. Two weeks felt like months at a stretch. I tried to behave as normally as i could. I couldn't wait for August the 3rd to arrive.

Today is August 3rd, i went in and saw the surgeon and made it a point that i told him what happened and what i read. It took them 30 minutes to work with me and check if my worst fears are true. Finally he said. "Boy you are all good to go, you don't have cancer but rectal fissure and need to include fibre in your diet."

That's it that's what i was waiting for him to tell me, that i am all right, that god does have a plan for me and all i need to do is stick to that plan and make things all right for my parents my sister and little cousin Deepika.

I am not sure if i would ever be a good person, all i want is to be a child that my parents would be proud of, that my sister would look up.

Almost every time i prayed to god, i told him that i have so much things yet to do, including believe it or not run my full marathon. Let me stick to the plan and everything will be all right.

The doctor added that in case i see bleeding again, i might have to go through a complete check up, till then it should be all fine and smooth.

I ran 5 miles today in the rain, everything looked new to me today, while running through the arlington memorial bridge i felt that i could do this. 26 Miles is achievable and so are my other dreams, i just have to stick to the plan and work harder and harder to achieve it.

Happy Birthday To Me  

No comments: